South Carolina State Board of Review
Responsibility for determining which properties within a state meet the National Register criteria for listing lies with the State Historic Preservation Officer and the South Carolina State Board of Review (Review Board). Before any National Register nominations are submitted to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, they must be approved by this board, whose membership includes professionals in the fields of architecture, architectural history, history, archaeology, and other related disciplines. If a property meets the National Register criteria, the Review Board recommends it for nomination.
In addition to this function, state laws give the Review Board authority to make decisions in specific situations involving local historic property tax incentives, state tax incentives, and state owned properties that are listed in the National Register.
The Review Board meets three times each year, typically on the third Friday in March, the fourth Friday in July, and the third Friday in November (these dates are subject to change). Terms of service for Review Board members are for two years, with the option of a two-year reappointment term.
Upcoming Review Board Meetings
- March 20, 2020
- July 24, 2020
- November 20, 2020
Review Board Members (PDF)
Review Board Agendas
- Agenda - November 16, 2018 (PDF)
- Agenda - March 15, 2019 (PDF)
- Agenda - July 26, 2019 (PDF)
- Agenda - December 18, 2019 (PDF)
Review Board Minutes
Current National Register Nominations Under Consideration
- Gaston Livery Stable, Aiken, Aiken Co. (PDF)
- Dianna Brown Antique Shop, Charleston, Charleston Co. (PDF)
- Engineering-Management Building, North Charleston, Charleston Co. (PDF)
- Piedmont Mill Stores Building, Piedmont, Greenville Co. (PDF)
- Sun Fun Motel, Myrtle Beach, Horry Co. (PDF)
- Clinton Commercial Historic District (Boundary Increase & Boundary Decrease), Clinton, Laurens Co. (PDF)
- Clinton Chapel AME Zion Church, Union, Union Co. (PDF)