South Carolina State Board of Review
Responsibility for determining which properties within a state meet the National Register criteria for listing lies with the State Historic Preservation Officer and the South Carolina State Board of Review (Review Board). Before any National Register nominations are submitted to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, they must be approved by this board, whose membership includes professionals in the fields of architecture, architectural history, history, archaeology, and other related disciplines. If a property meets the National Register criteria, the Review Board recommends it for nomination.
In addition to this function, state laws give the Review Board authority to make decisions in specific situations involving local historic property tax incentives, state tax incentives, and state owned properties that are listed in the National Register.
The Review Board meets three times each year, typically on the third Friday in March, the fourth Friday in July, and the third Friday in November (these dates are subject to change). Terms of service for Review Board members are for two years, with the option of a two-year reappointment term.
The Review Board meeting on July 24, 2020 will be held virtually via Cisco WebEx. Please contact Brad Sauls at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-896-6172 for instructions on accessing the meeting.
Upcoming Review Board Meetings
- July 24, 2020 - Virtual Meeting
- November 20, 2020
- March 19, 2021
Review Board Members (PDF)
Review Board Agendas
- Agenda - March 15, 2019 (PDF)
- Agenda - July 26, 2019 (PDF)
- Agenda - December 18, 2019 (PDF)
- Agenda - March 20, 2020 (PDF) CANCELLED - AGENDA ITEMS MOVED TO JULY REVIEW BOARD
- Agenda - July 24, 2020 (PDF) - Virtual Meeting
Review Board Minutes
Current National Register Nominations Under Consideration
- Means-Gage House, Beaufort, Beaufort Co. (PDF)
- Host of America Motel, North Charleston, Charleston Co. (PDF)
- Marine Barracks, Charleston Navy Yard, Charleston Co. (PDF)
- Pee Dee River Rice Planters Historic District (Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation, Pawleys Island vicinity, Georgetown Co. (PDF)
- Sandy Island School, Sandy Island, Georgetown Co. (PDF)
- Ruth's Beauty Parlor, Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)
- Stone Manufacturing Company, Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)
- Veterans Administration Regional Office, Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)
- Epps-McGill Farmhouse, Kingstree vicinity, Williamsburg Co. (PDF)