South Carolina State Board of Review
Responsibility for determining which properties within a state meet the National Register criteria for listing lies with the State Historic Preservation Officer and the South Carolina State Board of Review (Review Board). Before any National Register nominations are submitted to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, they must be approved by this board, whose membership includes professionals in the fields of architecture, architectural history, history, archaeology, and other related disciplines. If a property meets the National Register criteria, the Review Board recommends it for nomination.
In addition to this function, state laws give the Review Board authority to make decisions in specific situations involving local historic property tax incentives, state tax incentives, and state owned properties that are listed in the National Register.
The Review Board meets three times each year, typically on the fourth Friday in March, the fourth Friday in July, and the third Friday in November (these dates are subject to change). Terms of service for Review Board members are for two years, with the option of a two-year reappointment term.
Upcoming Review Board Meetings
- November 18, 2022
- March 24, 2023
- July 21, 2023
Review Board Members (PDF)
Review Board Agendas
- Agenda - November 19, 2021 (PDF)
- Agenda - March 25, 2022 (PDF)
- Agenda - July 22, 2022 (PDF)
- Agenda - November 18, 2022 (PDF)
Review Board Minutes
Current National Register Nominations Under Consideration
- Lady's Island Bridge, Beaufort and vicinity, Beaufort Co. (PDF)
- Peachtree Plantation, McClellanville vicinity, Charleston Co. (PDF)
- Phillips Community Historic District, Mount Pleasant and vicinity, Charleston Co. (PDF)
- Camden Battlefield (Additional Documentation), Camden vicinity, Kershaw Co. (PDF)
- Peter M. and Alice Oliver House, Swansea, Lexington Co. (PDF)
- Lakeview School, West Columbia, Lexington Co. (PDF)
- Chapel of Hope, Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)
- Startex Finishing Company, Startex (Wellford and vicinity), Spartanburg Co. (PDF)