South Carolina State Board of Review
Responsibility for determining which properties within a state meet the National Register criteria for listing lies with the State Historic Preservation Officer and the South Carolina State Board of Review (Review Board). Before any National Register nominations are submitted to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, they must be approved by this board, whose membership includes professionals in the fields of architecture, architectural history, history, archaeology, and other related disciplines. If a property meets the National Register criteria, the Review Board recommends it for nomination.
In addition to this function, state laws give the Review Board authority to make decisions in specific situations involving local historic property tax incentives, state tax incentives, and state owned properties that are listed in the National Register.
The Review Board meets three times each year, typically on the third Friday in March, the fourth Friday in July, and the third Friday in November (these dates are subject to change). Terms of service for Review Board members are for two years, with the option of a two-year reappointment term.
The Review Board meeting on March 19, 2021 will be held virtually via Cisco WebEx. Please contact Brad Sauls at email@example.com or 803-896-6172 for instructions on accessing the meeting.
Upcoming Review Board Meetings
- July 23, 2021
- November 19, 2021
- March 18, 2022
Review Board Members (PDF)
Review Board Agendas
- Agenda - July 24, 2020 (PDF) - Virtual Meeting
- Agenda - November 20, 2020 (PDF) - Virtual Meeting
- Agenda - March 19, 2021 (PDF) - Virtual Meeting
- Agenda - July 23, 2021 (PDF)
Review Board Minutes
Current National Register Nominations Under Consideration
- Aiken County Hospital, Aiken, Aiken Co. (PDF)
- South Carolina Railroad, Aiken, Aiken Co. (PDF - redacted)
- Robert Mills Manor, Charleston, Charleston Co. (PDF)
- Philip C. Heiden House, Lake City, Florence Co. (PDF)
- Colonial Village Apartments, Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)
- Holman's Barber Shop, Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)
- Saluda Apartments, Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)
- Zion Baptist Church, Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)