South Carolina State Board of Review
Responsibility for determining which properties within a state meet the National Register criteria for listing lies with the State Historic Preservation Officer and the South Carolina State Board of Review (Review Board). Before any National Register nominations are submitted to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, they must be approved by this board, whose membership includes professionals in the fields of architecture, architectural history, history, archaeology, and other related disciplines. If a property meets the National Register criteria, the Review Board recommends it for nomination.
In addition to this function, state laws give the Review Board authority to make decisions in specific situations involving local historic property tax incentives, state tax incentives, and state owned properties that are listed in the National Register.
The Review Board meets three times each year, typically on the third Friday in March, the fourth Friday in July, and the third Friday in November (these dates are subject to change). Terms of service for Review Board members are for two years, with the option of a two-year reappointment term.
The Review Board meeting on November 20, 2020 will be held virtually via Cisco WebEx. Please contact Brad Sauls at email@example.com or 803-896-6172 for instructions on accessing the meeting.
Upcoming Review Board Meetings
- November 20, 2020 - Virtual Meeting
- March 19, 2021
- July 23, 2021
Review Board Members (PDF)
Review Board Agendas
- Agenda - July 26, 2019 (PDF)
- Agenda - December 18, 2019 (PDF)
- Agenda - July 24, 2020 (PDF) - Virtual Meeting
- Agenda - November 20, 2020 (PDF) - Virtual Meeting
Review Board Minutes
Current National Register Nominations Under Consideration
- Charleston Naval Hospital, North Charleston, Charleston Co. (PDF)
- Ebony Guest House, Florence, Florence Co. (PDF)
- Noel Court and Apartments, Myrtle Beach, Horry Co. (PDF)
- Citadel Shirt Corporation, Columbia vic., Richland Co. (PDF)
- Columbia Commercial Historic District (Boundary Increase II & Additional Documentation II), Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)
- Leevy's Funeral Home, Columbia, Richland Co. (PDF)