Certified Local Government (CLG) Program
The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) administers the CLG program in partnership with the National Park Service (NPS) to facilitate funding, technical assistance, and training. Through local preservation programs, CLGs are better prepared to manage future growth and encourage economic development while protecting the historic and prehistoric resources that are significant to their community, to the state and to the nation.
- Eligible to apply for federal grant funds set aside just for CLGs. It is ten percent of the state’s total federal allocation for preservation. In South Carolina, this usually amounts to a minimum of $75,000 each year that only CLGs may apply to use. See our Grants web page.
- Technical help and training for the design review committee (board of architectural review) and networking with other CLGs. The statewide preservation conference includes sessions specifically for BAR members, and the SHPO has offered competitive scholarships to help pay for CLG staff and board chairs to attend conferences and workshops.
- Participation in statewide preservation planning programs.
- Comment on nominations of historic properties and districts in the community to the National Register of Historic Places before the nominations are considered by the State Review Board.
Requirements for Participation
Local governments interested in joining the CLG program need to:
- Enforce appropriate state or local legislation for the designation and protection of historic properties. This means passage of a historic preservation ordinance that meets state guidelines for CLGs.
- Establish an adequate and qualified historic preservation commission by state or local legislation.
- Maintain a system for the survey and inventory of historic properties.
- Encourage public participation in the local historic preservation program, including the process of recommending properties for nomination to the National Register.
Requirements are outlined in the SC Code of Regulations Chapter 12-101 “Guidelines for Implementation of Certified Local Government (CLG) Program in South Carolina.”
Local governments apply for certification through the SHPO. Please consult with SHPO staff prior to submitting an application. To request an application contact Brad Sauls, 803-896-6172.